Hefei, well known both at home and abroad as “a historic site famous from the Three Kingdoms Period and the hometown of Lord Bao”, is a city with a history of more than 2000 years. Since the later Eastern Han Dynasty, it had been made governance site several times of the local government as a county or prefecture, constantly an important administration center and a crucial military stronghold in the region between Huaihe River and Yangtze River.
The name of “Hefei” first appeared in the Collected Biographies of Merchants under the Historical Records written by Sima Qian, a famous writer and historiographer in Chinese history. It goes like: Hefei, impacted economically from both north and south, was a collection and distribution center for furs, leather, aquatic products and timber. Between Qin and Han Dynasties, it was chartered as Hefei County, coming under the jurisdiction of Jiujiang Prefecture. Liu Xiu, an emperor of the Eastern Han Dynasty, upgraded Hefei to be a Kingdom. By the Three Kingdoms Period, Hefei was the seat of the government of Yangzhou Prefecture. Then between Ming and Qing Dynasties, it became the seat of the government of Luzhou Prefecture. Hence Hefei came to be also known as Luzhou.
Hefei was liberated on the January 21st 1949. On the first day of February the same year, the City of Hefei was set up on the base of Hefei County. On August 25th 1952, the official establishment of Anhui Provincial Government was held and Hefei was made its home.